Friday, September 11, 2015

The Stone Tape Theory: Fiction And The Early Years


"My first book, Limestone And Its Paranormal Properties, is being published on Amazon KDP at the end of this month. As a service to you, I wanted to write a prelude to its launch so you might better understand the context in which it is written. As a thank you for what I hope will inspire you to learn more about the Stone Tape Theory, I am offering the first two chapters for free as a viewing download. Find the link here."

This month on Paranormal Insights I am focusing on the history and relevant material that pertains to this intriguing theory. Frequently I will post a brief article enlightening you on this and other related subjects. I truly do hope you enjoy!

Status Quo

There are many, many paranormal groups that have surfaced all over the world in light of the latest paranormal craze. In fact, investigating may have become the newest trend in hobbies. There are, like with anything, some good and bad points about this social phenomenon. 

One of the best points, in my opinion, is the fact that since so many people do experience supernatural happenings, then this verifies that the spirit world does indeed exist. For all of the atheists and skeptics out there, you have quite a bit of new information to process in order to further uphold your beliefs. But, to each their own. I certainly respect everyone's point of view, no matter what my thoughts may be about it. 

Perhaps one of the less pleasant things about having thousands of investigators combing every spooky building throughout the world for any knock, disembodied voice or cold spot, is that some of the "evidence" really is not reputable. I discussed last month in the article "The Orb Dilemma" (Paranormal Enlightenment Magazine), the issue of investigators shooting photos of a site and then later finding white balls in the analysis. Inexperienced or overly excited investigators will quickly assert that they have captured orbs, which in turn suggest the presence of a spirit. This over-exaggeration to find something paranormal can mislead team members to misinterpret what might actually be dust particles, rain drops, moisture in the air, debris on the digital camera lens or some other foreign material. When this happens, our craft is criticized for being bogus and written off as the musings of paredolia.

A Common Belief   

Since I began nurturing my interest in the paranormal several years ago, I noticed that there was a prevalent belief that if an investigation site possessed limestone on it, then a blanket explanation was assumed. This assumption was consistent in implying that somehow rocks like limestone and granite are able to fuel paranormal activity. 
I never once heard anyone explain why this is, although nearly every investigation team that would make this statement, the members would all nod their heads in agreement. For some reason I too joined in this weird social contagion and went along with the idea, using this assumption in my own paranormal investigations. And then one day I stopped and began to wonder - what is the story behind this unspoken rule among paranormal professionals?

Surprisingly, for as common as this theory is among the paranormal community, there really isn't an abundance of information to research on the topic. I did find some good sources, which I will share with you. First off, from a fictional perspective, there is a movie named "Stone Tape". It is a BBC television play that aired in 1972 and it is written by Nigel Kneale. I have yet to watch the production and it certainly does sound interesting:

"A research team from an electronics company move into an old Victorian house to start work on finding a new recording medium. When team member Jill Greeley witnesses a ghost, team director Peter Brock decides not only to analyze the apparition, which he believes is a psychic impression trapped in a stone wall (dubbed a 'stone tape'), but to exorcise it too - with terrifying results..."   (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069316/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl)

I encourage you to check out the movie and extract from it the basic belief that limestone and similar rocks are able to absorb psychic energies. It is from this premise that we jump into the time machine and head back to the roots of this belief.


A Stone's Throw Back in Time

The origins of this theory takes us back to the 1800's with a man named Sir William Barrett, who was a physicist and the founder of the Association for Psychical Research. He was one of the first professional scientists to begin bridging science and the paranormal and he was well known for studying what happens at the point of death. His proposal that inanimate objects were able to somehow absorb psychic energy naturally received much criticism. Barrett fully understood the tangibly of psychic energies, as his work is a direct reflection of this controversial subject.

Back in Barrett's day recording tapes obviously did not exist. However, he was well ahead of his time in the paranormal world. He first became interested in supernatural phenomenon when he claims to have experienced mesmerism, the transference of thoughts from one person to another. From here his interests skyrocketed into exploring the world of poltergeists and then the founding of his society for those of his like mind. Not surprisingly, he was being harshly criticized for his beliefs.


Barrett is also known for exploring the realms of telepathy, clairvoyance, and a host of similar subjects. He experimented with the use of dowsing rods and eventually wrote two papers on the subject in 1897 and 1900. He is one of the unspoken and unknown pioneers in our paranormal craft and his work began to set the stage for the Stone Tape Theory.

In my next article on this fascinating subject, due for publishing September 25, I will walk you through the modern pursuits of this theory and introduce you to the paranormal explorers behind the movement. 

I hope you will join me each weekend as we lead up to the final launch of Limestone and Its Paranormal Properties: A Comprehensive Approach to the Possibilities.... on September 30, 2015. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tim great start to a fascinating topic. May I suggest that you drop the word "sedimentary" in the first paragraph of A Common Belief, limestone is sedimentary rock but granite is igneous and formed by volcanos. Metamorphic rock such as crystals have been known to hold memory, perhaps even better. Thanks for the excerpt and I hope your book is a success. RW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca!
      Yes, thank you for catching that hasty error on my part. A huge part of a book's success is its credibility. Mistakes like that can ruin a writer. I'm going to change that as soon as I get back home. Thank you again! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Tim me again, just to say I live in north Alabama, all limestone, in fact the county next to mine is called Limestone County, and its all haunted. I haven't been anywhere that wasn't haunted by someone though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really cool! I will definitely check out your home area and see what can be dug up on the limestone subject. I greatly appreciate you sharing that information!

      Delete
  3. Have you experienced any phenomenon yourself surrounding limestone? I've experienced a lot of activity inside of homes, and although I have heard of stones being associated with the spirit world, I just realized two of the most haunted homes I lived in had slate roofs. Creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea!
      My apologies to you and Rebecca for the late responses! Yes, I have had at least two experiences with limestone and the paranormal. One was at the McPike Mansion in Alton, Illinois. It was in the wine cellar which is basically a tomb of limestone. Paranormal activity there is very intense, so much so you can see the entities swirling in a dark mass right before your eyes ( with no lights on). The other incidents occur here in my home, which sits over limestone caves. I write about both of these experiences in my upcoming book. You can read about the Alton one in the link I have provided in the first paragraph of this article.
      Thank you for your comment and thank you so much for becoming my first official follower of this blog! :)

      Delete